GEN - 971.00. The European Commission has communicated an updated list of European Assessment Documents that can be used to show conformity with the Construction Products Regulation.
CE marking of construction products
GEN – 959.00 contained information on the possible update of the mandate M 129 to fit with the seven essential requirements of the Construction Products Regulation (CPR) 2011/305, to establish harmonised standards for water heaters, supply of hot and cold water, space heating, cooling and air conditioning.
Harmonised standards provide one way of proving conformity with the CPR and allow for CE marking.
Where no standards are available, one of the alternatives is to make use of European Assessment Documents (EAD). Often, EADs prefigure harmonised standards.
Up to now, the HVACR sector is not confronted with requirements under the CPR.
European Assessment Documents requirements for related ventilation products
The recent publication of the EADs shows two products that are somehow related to the ventilation sector. These are:
Reference 220018-00-0401 – ‘Decentralised energy efficient low-pressure ventilations unit with alternating flow and heat recovery’
This refers to add-on ventilation units to roof windows. It is little bit strange as similar solutions can be found in all types of windows.
Reference 360001-00-0803 – ‘Ventilation system made of mineral wool covered with film on outside and inside’
This refers to ducts and related duct fittings with an inside and outside aluminium lining with mineral wool as insulation in between.
The EADs provide the elements to show conformity to the seven essential CPR requirements:
- Mechanical resistance and stability
- Safety in case of fire
- Hygiene, health and environment
- Safety and accessibility in use
- Protection against noise
- Energy economy and heat retention
- Sustainable use of natural resources
The EADs are developed at the request of manufacturers by EOTA, the European Organisation for Technical Assessments.
At present, these EADs do not pose a challenge or a threat to HVACR manufacturers. Care will be required in case standards and other EADs would be developed for HVACR equipment under the CPR.
Related documents and links
All related documents and articles can be found in the respective sections in the right sidebar.
- GEN – 970.01 – EAD Decentralised energy efficient low-pressure ventilations unit with alternating flow and heat recovery
- GEN – 970.02 – EAD Ventilation system made of mineral wool covered with film on outside and inside
- OJEU with reference publications: https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/?uri=uriserv:OJ.C_.2018.417.01.0013.01.ENG&toc=OJ:C:2018:417:TOC
- EOTA: https://www.eota.eu/en-GB/content/new-eads-published/37/498/